Skip to main content

Popplet - a mind map maker

Throughout my own education I have considered myself a “visual learner”. I always found mind-maps and diagrams very useful because I could remember the information by displaying it in a visual format.

If you want to read about mind mapping, click HERE
There are many online mind maps makers but Popplet is one of the simplest.

Watch this video to have a better idea of this online tool:

 Adavantages: 

  • The site is clean and simple. Ideal to use with children
  • Popplet gives you the possibility of organising and synthesising information in more sophisticated ways than if it is just a list of information on a page.
  • Popplet inspires creativity because its colours and interface.
  • It is very easy to upload images (or grab them from Flickr) and add video.
  • You can turn a PowerPoint into a Popplet.
  • One of Popplet's best features is the fact that it is easy to share and collaborate. You can invite people to collaborate, send a link or copy some simple HTML and embed my Popplet in a blog, wiki or website. In Popplet, sharing allows users to make their popplet public and viewable by anyone via a URL link, whether they are a popplet user or not.
  • Viewing finished Popplet is also very straightforward. A single mouse click allows users to zoom in on an area of the graphic they’d like to examine in more detail.

Disadvantages: 
Too many things are missing:
  • variety of shapes
  • abilities to group popplets, bend connections or manipulate where connections are attached to the Popplet
  • a spell checker and the “standard” word correction engine
  • Students cannot use the same account to work in different compuers.
Possible Activities
  • Brainstorming
  • Group work in the classroom
  • Alternative to PowerPoint
  • Revision
Example:
9-year-old kids using the book Kids' Box 3 were revising vocabulary related to family and present continous verb tense. First, they revised the vocabulary in class, then they went to the computer room to explore the tool. Finally, they created these two Popplets:

Comments

Susana Canelo said…
Great ideas Nelba !!A new tool in your hands is always a great discovery...:)
Anonymous said…
Thank you, Susan for your comment! I hope you will visit La Plata soon :-)
Hugs, Nelba
Online Diploma said…
thanks for this information...i love it
Pankaj said…
That's really a very nice information...

Popular posts from this blog

Alexa Thompson discusses the ways that learning English in an online or offline setting can benefit non-native speakers

The Internet platform has become an essential tool for learning and teaching online , as noted by English Virtual Community. In this post, Alexa Thompson discusses the ways that learning English in an online or offline setting can benefit non-native speakers. For instance, learning English can lead to outsourced jobs that big businesses make available overseas. To read more about online English school from Alexa, visit the website she maintains about English education. English as a second language teachers, English Language Learners Did you know you can get a foreign job based on your ability to speak English? Many work opportunities are available to English speakers from almost any country in the world. Thanks to the Internet and impact outsourcing, more foreign speakers of English are coming into contact with businesses from North America and Europe, making English as a Second Language courses extremely valuable for both students and native English speakers. The last three decades h

ARCALL first Online Congress

After nearly two months of work , ARCALL is proud to announce the opening of its first online Congress together with AVEALMEC. The organizing team has worked very hard: preparing the material, website, MOODLE platform content, WiziQ sessions. Today the forums have been opened. I will be moderating the forum about Commuties of Practice together with my dearest friend and colleague Evelyn Izquierdo. Follow us at: http://avealmec.org.ve/moodle  or in twitter http://twitter.com/avealmec I hope you will enjoy the experience.

My first Meme (pingback and trackback)

When did I start using Internet? I think it coincides with the economic change in Argentina ( 1 peso = 1 dollar) in the late 90's. I started using e-mailing. I have friedns and family living abroad or in other cities, and they usually complain about the fact that I am pretty lazy for writing letters and going to the post office. So, e-mailing was a solution for me. A really turning point took place in 2001 when I was invited to an on line course on " How to evalute websites" carried out by another Argentinean - Prof. Norma Scagnoli- working at the University of Illinois. She introduced me into the virtual world and there I met one of my dearest cyberfriends: Prof. Dafne Gonzalez. From that moment my virtual life started. I bagan exploring the net and that same year I opened my firs e-group: English Virtual Community. My first steps on the Internet were really awful. I used to have dial up connection, so my experience was a bit poor. I could not spend much time on line and